Thursday, March 1, 2018

The Shape of Water

⭐⭐⭐⭐


Directed by: Guillermo del Toro
Written by: Guillermo del Toro &     Vanessa Taylor
Gross Revenue: $110.7 mil



Guillermo Del Toro is a glorious master at his craft.  There is just something about a film that is developed with passion. The love and creativity is viewed in every frame. There is nothing like a Del Toro film, he puts his heart into every piece of art he directs and writes.

 I say everything, from cronos on down, even hellboy II which I believed the flack was highly undeserved. It all was brilliant. The Shape of Water is beyond astonishing and he, as with everything else executed this project with perfection and precision. From the opening credits I was in awe, it provoked a phenomenal feeling I only seem to get with his films. The ability to perfect the use of  darkness is always something I look forward to.


His vision of the "monster" is   
something I can understand seeming as I too have an affinity for fantasy of the dark persuasion.  I just love how he deals with very dreary subjects  and somehow makes it amazingly beautiful. There's poetry in his films and it's evident more so in The Shape of Water. It was such a great movie with an unbelievable cast, cinematography and score that was so good I got misty eyed. Del Toros mind is just beautiful and I'm so envious of it. He has the ability to create beings that would be seen as monsters and horrid creatures and make you fall in love with them. You empathize with them, you want them to thrive, live and love. My heart was with "the Asset" the entire time I wanted to free him as bad as Elisa did.


  Speaking of which, let's give Sally Hawkins a standing ovation please. Also, a moment of silence for the actresses in the same leading category for the Oscars. Cause she's got it, there's no doubt in my mind she'll win. To convey the amount of emotion needed without saying a word is TALENT and not everyone can do that.  She perfected the art of body language and facial expression down to a science and she deserves up most recognition.

  Michael Shannon and Octavia Spencer were more than good and I've always enjoyed them both. Shannon isnt new to playing no nonsense off the cuff characters and I genuinely love it when he does them. He does the antagonist so very well. However, this one was disturbingly amazing and made my stomach churn but he was fantastic.  Octavia is just adorable and her performances are always full of heart and sass and I love that.




The cast and crew executed this film masterfully . I felt at home watching this and I seldom feel that way with films so when the feeling does arrive I get emotionally attached and that's what happened here! Sweet, stunning and smart! Bravo! c'est magnifique!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Quiet Place

⭐⭐⭐⭐ Directed by:  John Krasinski Written by:  John Krasinski  ·  Bryan Woods  ·  Scott Beck Gross Revenue: $154 mil  ...